As the owner of an auto body repair shop, it is important that you are making safety a priority. While we typically go over risks including chemicals, dusts, fumes, and the likes, it is important to not forget about one of the greatest risks out there: Fires.
Automobile-related structure fires are all too common to neglect. Between flammable liquids and hot engines, there are an awful lot of fire hazards present. This week, our agency would like to share a few fire health and safety tips with garage owners. Who knows, one of these tips could save your shop from a fiery disaster.
- Create an evacuation plan and make sure all workers are aware of it. Practice, if need be.
- Keep flammable liquids in an appropriately rated fireproof metal cabinet, away from any heat sources and working areas.
- Gas spill? Clean it up as soon as possible, but be especially aware of the flammable fumes that can gather inside the building. Be sure to adequately vent it quickly.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in an accessible area for all employees and have it serviced at least annually.
- Keep aerosol sprays away from open flames/heat.
- Safely rid of dirty/oily rags instead of storing them.
- Prohibit your workers from smoking inside the garage. Always take it outside.
At Wolpert Insurance, it is not only our goal to provide you with a comprehensive garage insurance policy to protect your business, but to keep your shop as safe as possible. Reducing the number of risks will not only keep both you and your employees safer, but may result in a lower premium as well. Remember: The more claims that are made on your garage insurance policy, the higher your premium may end up!
To learn more about our options at Wolpert Insurance, please give us a call at 800-299-6819.