Prevent Dermal Exposure Risks in your Garage

Working in a repair and auto body shop day in and day out is sure to have a negative effect on your health, especially if you are not mindful of the risks in your garage. As the owner, it is important to make sure both you and your employees are protected by providing the proper gear, workers compensation and garage insurance. Most importantly, it is crucial to make sure all workers are careful while using specific chemicals and products; dermal exposure is a serious health concern in this industry!
At Wolpert Insurance, we believe one of the best ways to protect your skin from coming in contact with harmful chemicals is simply wearing the proper gloves. According to OSHA, there are a variety of factors that may affect your glove selection, including:
• The type of chemical you will be handling;
• The frequency and duration of contact with the chemical;
• The temperature of the chemical;
• Concentration of the chemical;
• The nature of chemical contact (splashing, misting, total immersion, etc.)
• The length of your arm to be protected;
• Grip requirements (slippery, oily, dry);
• Thermal protection;
• Size and comfort;
• Price;
• Special glove features (cuff edge, lining, color, etc.)
One OSHA study indicated that 70% of the workers experiencing hand injuries were not wearing gloves. Hand injuries to the remaining 30% of the workers who were wearing gloves were caused by the gloves being either inadequate, damaged, or the wrong type for the type of hazard present. As you can see, a lot of thought should be put into this decision! To avoid harmful skin exposure, it may even be a good idea to have your shop evaluated by a professional; health and safety should be a priority!
At Wolpert Insurance, we always place safety and protection first. That is why we offer high-quality garage insurance. We have a wide-variety of programs that are dedicated to the auto repair industry, including: auto insurance, workers compensation, umbrella insurance, property insurance, employers’ liability insurance and much more. We want to help your business overcome these health hazards!