As the owner of an auto body and repair shop, you realize that the industry you work in is not always environmentally friendly, especially if you are not mindful! With such a significant amount of paint thinner and solvent for spray gun cleaning, it is important that you find ways to recycle instead of wasting. Do you know that recycling solvent on-site may help reduce regulatory requirements and future liability, and even save money!
While we may be your garage insurance experts, we also have a thing or two to share about recycling solvents on-site.
• You may be able to save on purchases as much as 80% by recycling solvents on-site.
• There are a variety of methods and recycling equipment to choose from. There are even some units that can be integrated with a paint gun cleaner. This tool makes it easier to transfer the recycled solvent back to the cleaning unit without pouring or handling.
• If you decide to recycle solvent on-site, the recycled solvent should only be used for paint spray gun cleaning.
• Be careful! The distillation unit will heat the solvent, meaning a potential fire hazard.
• Check with the local Fire Department before going ahead with on-site recycling. Some recycled solvents may exceed air district limitations on VOC content.
As you can see, recycling solvents on-site has its benefits, but it is always important to be cautious and careful. If not, you could be facing an accident or injury. For unexpected accidents, our garage insurance will be there to back you up. Our Massachusetts insurance agency can provide you with unique policies, including garage liability insurance, equipment and tools coverage, commercial property coverage, workers compensation and much more.
Be sure to come back next week for a blog on recycling solvents off-site!